Eggens Run Amok: Bolivian Adventures

We are missionaries in Bolivia serving street children through the Bolivian Street Children Project.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Coffee Fanatic?

We have been busy this week doing a lot of different things, but not anything super exciting. It has been one of those weeks where you look back and feel like you worked 80 hours, but you can't really recall how all of that time was spent. A lot of time goes to a quick meeting here, a quick meeting there... and all of a sudden it is Friday! That has pretty much been my week - meeting with everyone and their brother about anything from how the homes should share the minibus, to future construction projects, to meeting with the new tenants of our old office.

Anybody who knows me knows that I love coffee, and I love to drink coffee in almost any form at any time during the day. (Except for gas-station cappuccinos, which I would consider more sugar than coffee.) In any case, I put together a list of indicators that might mean you are a coffee fanatic. I would say that anyone who could say yes to five or more of these would be considered a coffee fanatic. I can confess to a full 8 of them... wonder if you can guess which ones they are. The remaining four (and some of those eight) I have learned from our fellow SIM teammates.

  • You pre-heat your mug with hot water so your coffee stays warmer longer.
  • You know how paper and permanent filters affect the flavor of your coffee.
  • You think the phrase "Folgers Coffee" is an oxymoron.
  • You are concerned about the date your coffee beans were roasted.
  • A coffer grinder is the cornerstone of your kitchen.
  • You have participated in an advertisement for a coffee shop.
  • You take with all of your coffee equipment to team retreats (where you need to hike to the cabin), including a large 220 to 110 volt transformer to run the coffee machine.
  • You think "Nescafe" is better pronounced "No es cafe."
  • The first thing you hear when arriving to the office is "would you like some coffee?"
  • You have started a micro enterprise to roast and sell coffee.
  • You keep a package of instant coffee in your backpack "just in case."
-John

6 Comments:

  • At 10:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I wonder how much of that you got from your mother???
    Love you, Mom

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger Phil said…

    Seeing you are a coffee expert and live in La PAz I was wondering where you thought sold the best coffee in La Paz (i.e. in a cup hot and ready to drink not a packet for home). I live in La Paz also and my fav coffee spot is the little cafe inside san francisco museo. Of course Alexander Coffee is good aswell and there are plenty of them.
    Phil

    www.boliviablog.net

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    WISHING THE COFFEE FANATIC A HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY! Wish I was there to have a cup of coffee and birthday cake with you!
    Love, Mom

     
  • At 12:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Birthday big dog!! Maybe part of your nerosis came from the shade grown coffee you had while we we in Mexico. -Craig

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy 30th Birthday, Appleseed! We Love You, Randall & Brenda

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Phil -
    Personally my faorite coffee is the Madidi blend, European toast from Alexanders. I have coffee at home more often than at a coffee shop, so that limits my exposure to other places. Often Alexander's leaves much to be desired in terms of good service, but I like they coffee. I will have to try the one at San Fransico sometime when I am downtown. (We spend most of our time in the zona sur, where our office and our homes are.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home