Eggens Run Amok: Bolivian Adventures

We are missionaries in Bolivia serving street children through the Bolivian Street Children Project.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Five minutes on whose watch?

We returned to Bolivia from a short trip to spend Christmas with our families. When we got back we immediately noticed that our DSL connection was not working when we tried to use our Vonage phone. A quick diagnostic pointed to the obvious fact that the power light on the modem never came on. So I called the Internet company, and they told me to bring in the modem so they could fix/replace it.

Knowing that things can take longer than planned, I made stopping at the Internet company one of the first errands of the day. I sat in line for about 15-20 minutes, listening to an audio book and defending my right to go next. I finally sat down at the desk, and thirty seconds later a technician had our modem in hand. "Give me 5-6 minutes and you will be all set" he says. Usually I don't believe time estimates, but if they are that specific it is a good sign.

10 minutes later... waiting patiently
15 minutes later... getting bored watching other people talk to the service desk people. I mean how many people can ask the same question?
25 minutes later... I ask, "Hey, can we see how things are going with my modem?"
30 minutes later... The customer service guy tells me, "They said it will only be a couple more minutes. Please just be patient."
45 minutes later (not since arrival, since handing over the modem) I have a new modem in hand and walked out the door.

I have become accustomed to waiting a lot; it tends to happen frequently in Bolivia. My only question is what would be wrong with "Hey it might take a while to fix your modem, so why don't you come back in an hour?" I guess it is like the old Heinz commercials... "Good things come to those who wait." In this case, it was revived Internet access.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home